Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Mommy Tip Monday: The Alphabet Hop


So, do you see how bad I am at this? First post in over six months and I can't even post it on the proper day. I'm going to try to bring back "Mommy Tip Mondays" because I really enjoyed doing them. I make no promises to the day I will actually post on. The thing is I occasionally come up with spectacular ideas (I'm humble), and then I forget them before thing two or three reaches an age that aforementioned spectacular idea would be appropriate or useful. Sometimes I forget my ideas even before I've had a chance to execute them. My mind...she is not what she used to be. Yesterday I lost a half of a banana. I've given up on finding it the old fashioned way, and I'm waiting for it to start to produce a smell. I wish I was kidding. In summery; this is as much for me as it is for you....yes, in fact I'm almost certain I'll get more use of this than my five readers will.

The alphabet hop is one such idea that I do NOT want to forget. This game is cheap, easy to set up, strengthens letter recognition, phonological awareness, and gross motor skills (there's the added bonus that it wears the kids out).


What you need-
Chalk
Large concrete area (we used the driveway)


What to do-

Write out the alphabet in large letters on the driveway (or have your child write out the alphabet if they are capable). Then, depending on the capabilities of the child, either call out a letter for them to hop to, or call out a word and have them hop to the letter that starts that word. We usually start the game out by hopping from letter to letter while singing the alphabet song, and I like to let the kids take turns calling out letters.

No comments:

Post a Comment